How to insert image or picture dynamically in cell based on cell value in Excel?
In many cases, you may need to insert image dynamically in cell based on cell value. For example, you want the corresponding images to be dynamically changed with the different values you entering in a specified cell. Or insert the corresponding images to related cells just based on the value of cells. This article will show you how to achieve these.
As below screenshot shown, you want to display corresponding pictures dynamically based on the value you entered in cell G2. When entering Banana in cell G2, the banana picture will be displayed in cell H2. While entering Pineapple in cell G2, the picture in cell H2 will turn into the corresponding pineapple picture.
1. Create two columns in your worksheet, the first column range A2:A4 contains the name of the pictures, and the second column range B2:B4 contains the corresponding pictures. See screenshot shown.
2. Click Formulas > Name Manager.
3. In the Name Manager dialog box, click the New button. Then the Edit Name dialog pops up, please enter Product into the Name box, and enter formula =INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2-1+MATCH(Sheet2!$G$2, Sheet2!$A$2:$A$4, 0), 2)) into the Refers to box, then click the OK button. See screenshot:
1). In the formula, the first number 2 is the row number of your first product. In this case, my first product name locates in row 2.
2). Sheet2!$G$2 is the cell you want to make the corresponding image changed dynamically based on.
3). Sheet2!$A$2:$A$4 is your list of product names in current worksheet.
4). The last number 2 is the column number containing your images.
You can change them as you need in the above formula.
4. Close the Name Manager dialog box.
5. Select a picture in your Pictures column, and press Ctrl + C keys simultaneously to copy it. Then paste it to a new place in current worksheet. Here I copy the apple picture and place it in cell H2.
6. Enter a fruit name such as Apple in cell G2, click to select the pasted picture, and enter formula =Product into the Formula Bar, then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
From now on, when changing to any fruit name in cell G2, pictures in cell H2 will turn into corresponding one dynamically.
You can pick the fruit name quickly by creating a drop-down list containing all fruit names in cell G2 as below screenshot shown.
For inserting images to related cells which match to cell values as below screenshot shown. You can try the Match Import Pictures utility of Kutools for Excel.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Firstly, you need to rename all pictures in order to make the picture names matching to the cell values.
2. Select the cells containing the picture name, here I select cell A2:A4, then click Kutools Plus > Import & Export > Match Import Pictures. See screenshot:
3. In the Match Import Pictures dialog box, select Fill vertically cell after cell in the Import order drop-down list, then click Add > File or folder as you need. In the Open dialog box, select the pictures you need to display in worksheet, or select the folder contains the pictures you need, and then click the Open button.
4. When it returns to the Match Import Pictures dialog box, click the Import size button to open the Import Picture Size dialog and specify the picture size as you need. And finally click the Import button in the Match Import Picture dialog box. See screenshot:
Note: You can enable the case sensitive function by checking the Case sensitive box as you need.
5. In the popping up Match Import Pictures dialog box, select the first single cell of the range you will place the picture, and then click the OK button.
You can see the result as below screenshot shown after importing.
- How to create dynamic hyperlink to another sheet in Excel?
- How to dynamically extract a list of unique values from a column range in Excel?
- How to create a dynamic monthly calendar in Excel?
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 5 months agoHow can I, if no value is entered, reset to a defaut image (or nothing)?Thanks
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years ago@Shozib Good day,
Sorry, the user form does not take into consideration in this case.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHi Admin
Thanks for sharing very good article. Could you please tell me, In Ist procedure step 6, I want to enter value for G2 through a user form. Is it possible? Please help
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years ago@Jason Dear Jason,
Sorry i don't have methd for this question.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoCould this be used instead of conditional formatting icon sets?
I need a green down arrow and red up arrow based on percentages from other cells.
If so, how would I go about completing this?
I'm needing negative percentages (<0%) to show a red up arrow,
Neutral percentages (=0%) to show a yellow bracket. (can already be done with conditional formatting),
Positive percentages (>=0.001%) to show a green down arrow.
How would I achieve this?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years ago@Guido Guido, the problem you mentioned cannot be solved. Sorry about that!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoLooks really great! But I need it to auto fill a cell (B1) with a picture when I type something in cell A1. Is this possible? and can we change max file count in folder? Have one with 15.000 pics, max is 10000.
Thanks! Love to hear from you@!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years ago@firstname.lastname@example.org Dear Nick,
Sorry to tell you that this method can't be looped for multiple cells. You need to specify =Product formula to all needed pictures one by one manually in your case.
Thank you for your comment!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoCan you please tell, how can this be looped for over 600 rows. Here in this tutorial, it changes picture based on only one cell, I need the same for multiple cells, do I need to make separate "Product" lists for that in "Name Manager", because that lists is over 600.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoThis is awesome, is there a way of creating a lookup formula on another worksheet that will look up the name and return the picture into the selected cell?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoHey Nick did you get how to do it, when you want to have the list of the pictures on other sheet?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 4 years agoGreat article, really helpful for something I'm trying to do. How would you change the formula in step 3 if all of the images and names were on another worksheet? Many thanks.