How to lock and unlock specified cells with a checkbox in Excel?
This article is talking about using a checkbox to lock and unlock a range of specified cells in Excel.
The below VBA script can help you to unlock or lock a range of specified cells when checking or unchecking a checkbox in worksheet. Please do as follows.
1. Firstly, you need to specify a name to the range of cells which you need to lock and unlock with a checkbox.
Here I select range A1:A14, type a name LockRng into the Name box, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
2. In the worksheet contains the checkbox you will use to lock and unlock cells, right click the Sheet Tab, and then click View Code from the right-clicking menu.
Note: The check box should be ActiveX check box when you inserting.
3. In the popping up Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Lock or unlock a range of specified cells with a checkbox
Private Sub CheckBox1_Click() Range("LockRng").Select On Error Resume Next If CheckBox1.Value = True Then Selection.Locked = Fals MsgBox "Range cells " & Selection.Address & " has been unlocked", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" Else Selection.Locked = True MsgBox "Range cells " & Selection.Address & " has been locked", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End If End Sub
Note: In the code, Checkbox1 is the name of the checkbox, LockRng is the name of the specified range cell. You can change them as you need.
4. Press the Alt + Q keys simultaneously to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Now you can test the code. When unchecking the checkbox, a Kutools for Excel dialog box will pop up to tell you the specified range has been locked, please click the OK button.
While checking the checkbox, all cells in the specified range will be unlocked and you will get a Kutools for Excel dialog box as below right screenshot shown.
- How to filter data based on checkbox in Excel?
- How to hide checkbox when row is hidden in Excel?
- How to create a drop down list with multiple checkboxes in Excel?
- How to highlight cell or row with checkbox in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Available in 44 Languages | Easy to Uninstall Completely
Kutools for Excel Boasts Over 300 Features, Ensuring That What You Need Is Just A Click Away...
Supercharge Your Excel Skills: Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day! (Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial)