How to sum values based on selection of drop-down list in Excel?
As below screenshot shown, you have a table contains a Category column and an Amount column, and you have created a data validation drop-down list which contains all the categories. When selecting any kind of category from the drop-down list, you want to sum up all corresponding cell values in Column B and populate the result in a specified cell. For example, when selecting category CC from the drop-down list, you need to sum values in cell B5 and B8 and get the total number 40+70=110. How to achieve it? Method in this article can help you.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can apply the following formulas to sum values based on selection of drop-down list in Excel.
1. Select a blank cell for populating the summing result, then enter formula =SUMIF(A2:A8,D2,B2:B8) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
1. You can also use this formula: =SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF($A$2:$A$8,$D$2,$B$2:$B$8)) to sum values based on selection of drop-down list.
2. In the formula, A2:A8 is the category range, D2 is the drop-down list cell, and B2:B8 is the value range you need to sum based on the drop-down list selection. Please change them as you need.
- How to sumif adjacent cell is equal, blank or containing text in Excel?
- How to sum or adding numbers in a single cell in Excel?
- How to sum a column until a condition is met in adjacent column in Excel?
- How to sum or average values if dates in adjacent cells equal to specified month in Excel?
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 months agoThe Sum Values Based On Selection Of Drop-Down List With Formula worked perfectly for what I needed. Thanks so much for posting this on here. You saved me hours of headaches!
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoI am trying to use sumifs with set of conditions. There is a project column with sprint numbers and test cases, etc.. I created a drop down list of the project names above the cell with the formula and referred that in the Sumif condition. Now based on my dropdown selection, the total of test cases created are resulted. This works absolutely fine. Now, if I have to select the dropdown to select all projects, how do I do it. I tried creating a list item as "<>" but that is not working. Any suggestions?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoTrying using the wild card "*" so the last or first item in your list is just the *. I am working through a similar problem and that has worked most of the time.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoDid you find a way to make this work?
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi,
What do you mean of "to select the dropdown to select all projects"?
Would be nice if you could provide screenshot of what you are trying to do.
Thanks for your comment.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoformula for 2 different categories
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agohow to sum value all selected cell in sum total value ?