How To Remove or turn off Hyperlinks In Excel?
If you want to remove hundreds of hyperlinks which exist in a worksheet or the whole workbook, or turn off the hyperlinks directly when creating them. How to quickly deal with the unwanted hyperlinks in Excel?
- Remove all hyperlinks in a range with Remove Hyperlinks command (Excel 2010 and later versions)
- Remove all hyperlinks in a worksheet with VBA code (All Excel versions)
- Remove all hyperlinks without losing formatting with VBA code (All Excel versions)
- Remove all hyperlinks without losing formatting in ranges, sheets or workbook with Kutools for Excel (All Excel versions)
- Turn off or disable automatic hyperlinks in Excel
If the hyperlinks are in the same worksheet, you can use the Remove Hyperlinks function to remove them.
1. Select the range containing hyperlinks you want to remove.
2. Then click Home > Clear > Remove Hyperlinks, see screenshot:
Tips: You can also right-click the selected range, and choose Remove Hyperlinks from the menu, see screenshot:
3. And all the hyperlinks in the selected range are deleted at once.
If you are a skilled and professional user, you can create macros to remove the hyperlinks from an active worksheet.
1. Activate the worksheet that you want to remove the hyperlinks from.
2. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
3. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Remove all hyperlinks from active worksheet:
Sub RemoveHyperlinks() ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks.Delete End Sub
4. Then press F5 key to run this code, and all the hyperlinks are removed from the active worksheet immediately.
All of the above methods will clear the cell formatting when removing the hyperlinks, if you want to keep the formatting while deleting the hyperlinks, here is a code may do you a favor. Please do as follows:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Remove all hyperlinks without losing cell formatting:
Sub RemoveHlinkskeepformatting() Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim TempRng As Range Dim UsedRng As Range Dim xLink As Hyperlink On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) Set UsedRng = Application.ActiveSheet.UsedRange For Each xLink In WorkRng.Hyperlinks Set TempRng = Cells(1, UsedRng.Column + UsedRng.Columns.Count) Set Rng = xLink.Range Rng.Copy TempRng Rng.ClearHyperlinks Set TempRng = TempRng.Resize(Rng.Rows.Count, Rng.Columns.Count) TempRng.Copy Rng.PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats TempRng.Clear Next End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and then, in the prompt box, select the range contains the hyperlinks you want to remove but leaving the formatting, see screenshot:
4. And then, click OK, the hyperlinks have been removed, but the formatting of the hyperlinks (including the underlines) is kept. See screenshots:
Assuming you are about to remove hyperlinks without losing formatting in multiple worksheets or whole workbook, then an available tool Kutools for Excel will help to remove multiple hyperlinks in one click.
After installing Kutools for Excel, apply the Delete Hyperlinks feature according to following steps:
Click Kutools > Link > Delete Hyperlinks Without Losing Formatting, then select the scope that you want to delete the hyperlinks from as you need. See screenshot:
And then, all the hyperlinks will be removed at once but the text formatting is kept as you need, see screenshots:
The Excel will create the hyperlinks automatically when you input the web addresses or email addresses, if you need to disable this annoying operation. Please do as this:
1. In Excel 2010 and later version, click File > Options; in Excel 2007, click Office button > Excel Options to open the Excel Options dialog.
2. In the Excel Options dialog box, click Proofing from the left pane, and click AutoCorrect Options in the right section. See screenshot:
3. And then in the popped out AutoCorrect dialog, click AutoFormat As You Type tab, and uncheck Internet and network paths with hyperlinks option under Replace as you type section, see screenshot:
4. Then, click OK > OK to close the dialogs. Now, when entering a web address into a cell, after pressing Enter key, the internet address will not become clickable hyperlink.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!