How to delete rows above active cell or specific text in Excel?
If there is a huge worksheet with multiple rows, and you just want to delete all rows above the active cell or a specific text, how can you handle it? You can delete the rows by selecting them and then right click to choose Delete from the context menu manually. But here, I have VBA codesto quickly delete rows above, if you are interested in it, please read the below detail.
Delete rows above with VBA codes
Delete rows above with VBA codes
Here I introduce two VBA codes for you, one is delete rows above the active (selected cell), another one is remove the rows above the specified text.
1. Select a cell which you want to delete rows above it, and press Alt + F11 keys to open Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below code to the Module script.
VBA: Delete rows above active cell
Range("A1:A" & ActiveCell.Row - 1).EntireRow.Delete
3. Press F5 key, then the rows above active cell have been removed. See screenshot:
If you want to delete rows above the specified text, you can use below VBA.
VBA: Delete rows above the specified text
Dim fRg As Range
Set fRg = Cells.Find(What:="Total Group", LookAt:=xlWhole)
If Not fRg Is Nothing Then
If fRg.Row <> 1 Then
MsgBox "Total Group is in the first row already", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel"
MsgBox "Do not find Total Group", vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel"
1. In the code, Total Group is the text you want to find, you can change it as you need.
2. If the text you find has been in the first row already, a dialog will pop out to remind you.
3. If the text you find does not exist in the sheet, a dialog as below screenshot shown will pop out to remind you.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!