How to check if a value exists in another column then sum in Excel?
In this article, I introduce the tricks on summing values based on data in another column. For example, as below screenshot shown, if the data in List 2 exists in List 1, then sum the values in column Score.
1. Select a blank cell next to the data you want to sum, and enter this formula =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,$A$2:$A$7, 1, FALSE)),FALSE,TRUE ), then drag autofill handle down to apply this formula to the cells, if it displays TRUE, then the corresponding data exists in another column, and if it shows FALSE, the corresponding data is not in another column.
Note: in the formula, C2 is the first cell you want to check if exist in another column, A2:A7 is the criteria list, you can change them as you need.
2. Select the formula column and click Data > Filter to add Filter icon into the column, and click the icon to select TRUE from the Filter list. See screenshot:
3. Clock OK, now only the values which exist in another column are displayed. Copy them and paste to below location. See screenshot:
4. Then you can apply =SUM(D16:D20) to sum the values. See screenshot:
1. After copying and pasting the filtered data, please click Insert > PivotTable to create a Pivot Table.
2. Then in the PivotTable Fields panel, please drag column you will sum based on into the ROWS field, and column you want to sum into the VALUES field. See screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, the problem will be much easier with its Select Same & Different Cells utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Click Kutools > Select > Select Same & Different Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the popped-out dialog, select the list that you want to check in the Find values in textbox, then select the criteria list into the According to textbox, and check Each row, Same values, and Select entire rows options successively. See screenshot:
3. Then click Ok, a dialog pops out to remind you the number of selected rows, click OK to close it. And you can view the summing result in the Status bar. See screenshot:
And set the data column as Key column, and select Sum from the Calculate drop down list for the values you want to do calculation. Click Ok, the values are summed by same data separately.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!