How to grey out cells based on another column or drop down list choice in Excel?
Have you ever tried to grey out cells based on another column value or the drop down list choice? Here in this I will give you the solution about above problem in Excel.
For example, here are two columns –column A and column B, and if the values in column B are YES, then the corresponding cells in column A will be greyed out, if not, the cells in column A do nothing.
1. Select the cells in column A you want to grey out, click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule.
2. In the New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format, and enter this formula =B2="YES" into the Formula values where this formula is true. Click Format to go to Format Cells dialog, select the grey color under Fill tab. See screenshot:
3. Click OK > OK to close the dialogs. And the cells have been greyed out based on another column values.
Note: if you want to grey out cells based on the drop down list choice, you also can do as follows:
Select column B, and then create the drop down list by clicking Data > Data Validation, selecting List from Allow list, and selecting the source data into textbox. See screenshot:
Then the drop down list has been created in column B
Repeat above step 1-3 to apply a formula into the Conditional Formatting feature, and then the cell in column A will be greyed out based on the choice in column B.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!