How to reference or link value in unopened/closed Excel workbook file?
Normally, when referencing cell value from other workbook, you need to open the workbook firstly. How about directly reference cell value from a closed workbook? This article will show you methods of referencing cell value from a certain worksheet of an unopened workbook file.
Supposing your closed workbook named test locates in the path E:\Excel file\ of your computer, and you want to reference value of cell A2 from Sheet2 of this closed workbook. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell to place the referenced cell value, enter formula into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
If you want to insert the whole worksheet content from a closed Excel file, here I recommend you the Insert File at Cursor utility of Kutools for Excel. Please follow the below steps to get it done.
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. Select a blank cell which you want the referenced worksheet to start with, then click Kutools Plus > Import & Export > Insert File at Cursor.
2. In the Insert File at Cursor dialog box, click the Browse button.
3. In the Select a file to be inserted at the cell cursor position dialog box, find and select the closed workbook you want to reference, and then press the Open button. See screenshot:
4. Now it returns to the Insert File at Cursor dialog box, you can check any one of the Value only (no formulas) and Do not transfer formatting options as you need, and then click the OK button. In the next popping up Select a Worksheet dialog box, specify a worksheet, and click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now the whole content in selected worksheet of specified unopened workbook is referenced in current worksheet.
Note: Besides referencing values from unopened workbook, you can also reference values from unopened Txt or CSV file with this utility.
- How to reference format and value from another cell in Excel?
- How to reference worksheet by index number instead of name in Excel?
- How to remove all formula references but keep values in cells in Excel?
- How to keep formula cell reference constant in Excel?
- How to reference tab name in cell in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!