How to quickly transpose group of rows to column in Excel?
For instance, here are some groups of rows in Excel sheet, do you have any tricks on quickly transposing these rows to columns as below screenshot shown? If you are interested in this task, this article may can give you a solution.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In Excel, to transpose some groups of rows to columns, you need to create a unique list, and then extract all matched values of each group.
1. Select a blank cell which you will place the unique list, C1, and type Unique List into it, and then go to the adjacent cell, C2, enter 1 into it, and drag auto fill handle right to fill series as below screenshot shown:
2. Then in the cell C2, enter this formula =IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$9, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($C$1:C1, $A$1:$A$9), 0)),0), and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter key, then drag fill handle down until zeros display. See screenshot:
In the formula, A1:A9 is the group names you want to transpose values by, and C1 is the cell you enter Unique List in above step, you can change these references as you need.
3. In cell D2, enter this formula =IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$B$9, SMALL(IF($C2=$A$1:$A$9, ROW($A$1:$A$9)-MIN(ROW($A$1:$A$9))+1, ""), D$1)),0), press Shift + Ctrl + Enter key, then drag fill handle right until zeros appear, and then drag down to apply this formula to cells you need. See screenshot:
In the formula, B1:B9 is the values of each group you want to use, C2 is the cell you apply the first formula, A1: A9 is range with the duplicate group names, D1 is the first cell of the series you created in step 1.
Now the groups of rows have been transposed to columns.
If you want to more quickly transpose groups of rows to columns, please try Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the range you want to transpose, click Kutools > Content > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot:
2. In the popped out dialog, select the group names column and choose Primary Key, and the select the column which contains values of each group to select Combine and choose one delimiter to separate the combined rows. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, now the group of rows are combined to column.
If you want to split the cell into columns, you can apply Kutools > Text > Split Cells to separate cell by delimiters.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoThe first formula does not work for me - In my spreadsheet I have a list of names sorted alphabetically of names and using the formula for the Unique List in C2 results in zeroes from the first row onwards. I have checked the references and they seem OK - show the entire names list and Column C is 1, 2, 3 or more as per the row on the column C.