How to quickly transpose group of rows to column in Excel?
For instance, here are some groups of rows in Excel sheet, do you have any tricks on quickly transposing these rows to columns as below screenshot shown? If you are interested in this task, this article may can give you a solution.
In Excel, to transpose some groups of rows to columns, you need to create a unique list, and then extract all matched values of each group.
1. Select a blank cell which you will place the unique list, C1, and type Unique List into it, and then go to the adjacent cell, C2, enter 1 into it, and drag auto fill handle right to fill series as below screenshot shown:
2. Then in the cell C2, enter this formula =IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$A$9, MATCH(0, COUNTIF($C$1:C1, $A$1:$A$9), 0)),0), and press Shift + Ctrl + Enter key, then drag fill handle down until zeros display. See screenshot:
In the formula, A1:A9 is the group names you want to transpose values by, and C1 is the cell you enter Unique List in above step, you can change these references as you need.
3. In cell D2, enter this formula =IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$B$9, SMALL(IF($C2=$A$1:$A$9, ROW($A$1:$A$9)-MIN(ROW($A$1:$A$9))+1, ""), D$1)),0), press Shift + Ctrl + Enter key, then drag fill handle right until zeros appear, and then drag down to apply this formula to cells you need. See screenshot:
In the formula, B1:B9 is the values of each group you want to use, C2 is the cell you apply the first formula, A1: A9 is range with the duplicate group names, D1 is the first cell of the series you created in step 1.
Now the groups of rows have been transposed to columns.
If you want to more quickly transpose groups of rows to columns, please try Kutools for Excel’s Advanced Combine Rows utility.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the range you want to transpose, click Kutools > Merge & Split > Advanced Combine Rows. See screenshot:
2. In the popped out dialog, select the group names column and choose Primary Key, and the select the column which contains values of each group to select Combine and choose one delimiter to separate the combined rows. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, now the group of rows are combined to column.
If you want to split the cell into columns, you can apply Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells to separate cell by delimiters.