How to display different text than the value in same cell?
Normally, the entered data will be displayed in formula bar as same as the cell as the below first screenshot shown, but, have you ever tried to display a different text than the value in the same cell? It means, the text in cell is different from the value displayed in formula bar as the second screenshot shown. To deal with this job in Excel, this article will provide an easy method.
For example, I want the cell C1 display a word Monday but has a value of 1 in formula bar, C2 displays a word Tuesday but has a value of 2, etc as following screenshot shown:
1. Select the cell values that you want to display them with different text, and then click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rule, see screenshot:
2. Then in the New Formatting Rule dialog box, click Use a formula to determine which cells to format under the Select a Rule Type list box, and then enter this formula:=c1=1 (C1 is the first cell of the selected cells that you want to use, and the number 1 is the cell value that you want to be displayed with a different text in formula bar.) into the Format values where this formula is true text box, see screenshot:
3. Then click Format button to go to the Format Cells dialog box, and then click Number tab, and select Custom from the left Category pane, then enter the text that you want to be displayed in the same cell, this example, I will enter “Monday” into the Type text box, see screenshot:
Note: The text should be surrounded with the double quotes.
4. And then click OK > OK to close the dialogs, and the number 1 in the cells has been displayed as the text Monday as following screenshot shown:
Note: To display other cell values with different text, please repeat the formula into the Conditional Formatting dialog box, and enter the specific text you need to custom the cells in the Format Cells dialog, as below shown:
|Conditional formula||Format (Number: Custom)|
Sometimes, you just need to make the displayed text equal the actual value, how could you finish it in Excel?
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its To Actual feature, you can solve this task with one click.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Select the cells, that you want to make the displayed text equal the actual value, and then click Kutools > To Actual, see screenshot:
2. And the displayed text have been converted to the actual values at once, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!