How to split by delimiter and transpose cells in Excel?
In this article, I introduce the ways to split a range by specific delimiter and then transpose it in Excel as below screenshot shown. If you are interested in this task, please go to below details.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to display Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below code to the new Module window.
VBA: Split and Transpose
Sub Vertical() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20161125 Dim i As Long, strTxt As String Dim startP As Range Dim xRg As Range, yRg As Range On Error Resume Next Set xRg = Application.InputBox _ (Prompt:="Range Selection...", _ Title:="Kutools For Excel", Type:=8) i = 1 Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each yRg In xRg If i = 1 Then strTxt = yRg.Text i = 2 Else strTxt = strTxt & "," & yRg.Text End If Next Application.ScreenUpdating = True Set startP = Application.InputBox _ (Prompt:="paste range...", _ Title:="Kutools For Excel", Type:=8) ary = Split(strTxt, ",") i = 1 Application.ScreenUpdating = False For Each a In ary startP(i, 1).Value = a i = i + 1 Next a Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press F5 key to run the code, a dialog pops out for you to select a range to split and transpose.
4. Click OK. A dialog pops out to select a location to place the data.
5. Click OK, and the selection has been split and transposed by comma.
With Kutools for Excel, you can apply its Split Cells firstly to split cells by delimiter, and then apply the Transform Range utility to convert the cells into one column.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cells you want to split, and click Kutools > Merge & Split > Split Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Split Cells dialog, check Split to Columns option, then specify the delimiter you want to split based on, click Ok. And select a blank cell to place the result in the second Split Cells dialog. See screenshot:
3. Click OK, then the cells have been split into columns, and then click Kutools > Range > Transform Range. See screenshot:
4. In the Transform Range dialog, check Range to single column, click Ok, and select a cell to place the result. See screenshot:
5. Click OK, now the range has been transposed into one column.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!