How to format phone number with extension in Excel?
Normally, the format of a phone number is a 10-digit number, such as (973) 555 -1234. But sometimes, you may receive a worksheet with a phone number column which contains three or more digits extension after them. As below screenshot shown, how to format these phone numbers with extensions in order to look like normal phone numbers? You can try the method in this article.
The following formulas can help you to format phone number with extension in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell where you need to place the phone number after formatting, then enter the following formula into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key.
Remove the extension after formatting
If you don’t want to keep the extension of the phone number, please use this formula: ="("&LEFT(A2,3)&") "&MID(A2,4,3)&"-"&MID(A2,7,4)
Keep the extension after formatting
If you want to keep the extension and display the phone number as (###)###-#### ext#### after formatting, please apply below formula: ="("&LEFT(A2,3)&")"&MID(A2,4,3)&"-"&MID(A2,7,4)&" ext"&MID(A2,11,99)
Note: in the above formulas, A2 is the cell contains the phone number with extension you need to format. You can change it as you need.
2. Keep selecting the result cell, then drag its Fill Handle down to format the other phone numbers.Then you can see phone numbers with extensions are formatted based on your needs as below screenshot shown.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!