How to prevent or disable edit mode by double clicking cell in Excel?
Normally, double click on a cell will activate its edit mode in Excel. If you don’t want to enable the edit mode by double-clicking, this article will show you methods to deal with it. With the methods provided in this article, you can not only disable edit mode by double-clicking in active worksheet, but also disable edit mode by double-clicking in the whole workbook.
If you only want to disable edit mode by double clicking in a certain range of active worksheet, the following VBA code can help you.
1. In the worksheet which you need to disable edit mode in a certain range by double clicking, please right click the sheet tab and then click View Code from the right-clicking menu.
2. In the popping up Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste the below VBA script into the Code window.
VBA code: Prevent to edit cell by double clicking in a certain range of current worksheet
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A1:B10")) Is Nothing Then Cancel = True End Sub
Note: In the code, A1:B10 is the range where you will disable the edit mode by double clicking. Please change it as you need.
3. Press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
From now on, the double click to edit mode has been disabled in range A1:B10 of current worksheet.
This section is talking about preventing to edit cell by double clicking in the whole workbook. Please do as follows.
1. Please press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, double click ThisWorkbook in the left Project pane, and then copy and paste the below VBA code into the ThisWorkbook (Code) window. See screenshot:
VBA code: Prevent to edit cell by double clicking in the whole workbook
Private Sub Workbook_SheetBeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Sh As Object, _ ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub
3. Press the Alt + Q keys to exit the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
From now on, to double click on any cell in the whole workbook will not enter the edit mode.
- How to disable cut, copy and paste functions in Excel?
- How to disable right click on sheet tab in Excel?
- How to disable the right click menu in specified worksheet or whole workbook in Excel?
- How to add check mark in a cell with double clicking in Excel?
- How to auto add/enter current date/time in a cell with double clicking in Excel?
- How to double click a cell and add 1 to that cell value in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!