How to easily rank data by absolute value in Excel?
Here is a list that contains positive values and negative values, but in this case, I want to rank all values by their absolute values as below screenshot shown. You can rank them manually, however, actually, I have some tricks to quickly solve this task in Excel.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Here is a formula can help you to rank data by the absolute values.
Select a cell you will place the ranking result, type this formula =SUMPRODUCT((ABS(A2)>=ABS(A$2:A$10))*(A$2:A$10<>""))-SUMPRODUCT((ABS(A2)=ABS(A$2:A$10))*A$2:A$10<>""))+1 and drag down to apply this formula to the cells you need.
In the formula, A2 is the first cell you want to rank, A2:A10 is the range you need to rank by absolute values.
If you want to try a quick add-in tool to solve this task, you can apply the Change Sign of Values of Kutools for Excel to change all negative values to positive values first, then apply Rank function to rank.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:(Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the value you want to rank, click Kutools > Content > Change sign of Values. See screenshot:
2. In the Change Sign of Values dialog, check Change all negative values to positive option, click Ok or Apply. Then all negative values in the selection have been converted to positive. See screenshot:
3. In the cell you want to place the ranking result, type this formula =RANK(D2,$D$2:$D$10), and drag auto fill down to apply this formula to the cells.