How to quickly rank a league table in Excel?
As we all known, in the league, the ranking of a team is not only depending on one factor, it is depend on three factors, the total points, then the goal differences, and followed by the goal scoring. In this tutorial, I introduce how to quickly rank a league table in Excel.
Excel Productivity Tools
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 70% of your time and solve 80% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced features designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately. 60-day Unlimited Free Trial
For instance, there is a league table shown as below, now follow the steps one by one to rank the teams.
1. Firstly, calculate the total point of each team. As a winner gets three points, select a cell, I2, and type this formula =C2*3+D2 (C2 contains the times of winning, D2 is the draw), drag fill handle down to the cells you need to apply this formula. See screenshot:
2. Now rank the total points. Select cell J2, type this formula =COUNTIF($I$2:$I$21,">"&I2)+1 (I2 is the first cell in the list which contains the total points, I2:I21 is the list of total points), drag handle down to the cells you need.
3. Then rank the goal difference. Select cell K2, and type this formula =(COUNTIF($H$2:$H$21,">"&H2)+1)/100 (H2 is the first cell that contains goal difference, H2: H21 is the list of goal difference), drag fill handle down to fill the cells.
4. Rank the goals scoring in this step. Select cell L2, and type the formula =(COUNTIF($F$2:$F$21,">"&F2)+1)/1000 (F2 is the goals scoring, F2:F21 is the list of goals scoring), drag fill handle down to the cells.
5. Now add the total points rank, goal difference rank and goals scoring rank together. Cell M2, use this formula =J2+K2+L2 (J2, K2, L2 are the total points rank, goal difference rank and goals scoring rank), drag fill handle down to fill this formula to cells.
6. Finally, you can get the rank of league team. Select the cell you want to place the ranking, N2 for instance, type this formula =COUNTIF($M$2:$M$21,"<"&M2)+1, (M2 is the first cell in the list of sum of total points rank, goal difference rank and goals scoring rank, and M2:M21 is the list of summed by total points rank, goal difference rank and goals scoring rank), drag fill handle down to fill the formula.
You may be interested in this utility:
Round (Rounding numbers, round down/up, round to even without formulas.)