How to scramble letters in words in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of words, and you need to scramble all letters in these words for some purposes as below screenshot shown. Please try the methods in this article.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
You can scramble letters in a cell with the below User-defined function. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window,
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module, then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window. See screenshot:
VBA code: Scramble letters in words
Function Scramble(oldname) On Error Resume Next n = Len(oldname) newname = "" Do i = Int(Rnd() * n) + 1 c = Mid(oldname, i, 1) If c <> "*" Then newname = newname & c oldname = Replace(oldname, c, "*", , 1) End If Loop Until Len(newname) = n Scramble = LCase(newname) End Function
3. Then press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
4. Select a blank cell for locating the reversed letters, then enter formula =scramble(A2) into the formula bar and press the Enter key. Keep selecting the result cell, and drag its Fill Handle down to get all results. See screenshot:
Note: A2 is the cell contains the word you need to scramble letters. Please change it as you need.
Here I recommend a useful add-in - Kutools for Excel. With its Reverse Text Order utility, you can easily scramble letters of specified cells with only several clicks.
1. Select the cells which you need to scramble letters inside, then click Kutools > Text > Reverse Text Order. See screenshot:
2. In the Reverse Text dialog box, please specify a separator you will scramble letters based on in the Separator section, and then click the OK button.
Now the selected words are scrambled immediately as below screenshot shown.
- How to conditional format cells based on first letter/character in Excel?
- How to capitalize all letters in cell or a column in Excel?
- How to filter values by first letter or last character in Excel?