How to scramble letters in words in Excel?
Supposing you have a list of words, and you need to scramble all letters in these words for some purposes as below screenshot shown. Please try the methods in this article.
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
Office Tab: Bring powerful tabs to Office (include Excel), just like Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer. Save you half the time, and reduce thousands of mouse clicks for you. 30-day Unlimited Free Trial
Kutools for Excel: Save 71% of your time and solve 82% Excel problems for you. 300+ advanced tools designed for 1500+ work scenario, make Excel much easy and increase productivity immediately.60-day Unlimited Free Trial
You can scramble letters in a cell with the below User-defined function. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window,
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module, then copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window. See screenshot:
VBA code: Scramble letters in words
Function Scramble(oldname) On Error Resume Next n = Len(oldname) newname = "" Do i = Int(Rnd() * n) + 1 c = Mid(oldname, i, 1) If c <> "*" Then newname = newname & c oldname = Replace(oldname, c, "*", , 1) End If Loop Until Len(newname) = n Scramble = LCase(newname) End Function
3. Then press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
4. Select a blank cell for locating the reversed letters, then enter formula =scramble(A2) into the formula bar and press the Enter key. Keep selecting the result cell, and drag its Fill Handle down to get all results. See screenshot:
Note: A2 is the cell contains the word you need to scramble letters. Please change it as you need.
Here I recommend a useful add-in - Kutools for Excel. With its Reverse Text Order utility, you can easily scramble letters of specified cells with only several clicks.
1. Select the cells which you need to scramble letters inside, then click Kutools > Text > Reverse Text Order. See screenshot:
2. In the Reverse Text dialog box, please specify a separator you will scramble letters based on in the Separator section, and then click the OK button.
Now the selected words are scrambled immediately as below screenshot shown.
- How to conditional format cells based on first letter/character in Excel?
- How to capitalize all letters in cell or a column in Excel?
- How to filter values by first letter or last character in Excel?