How to set tab order of cells or unlocked cells in Excel?
Supposing you need to set the tab order for your own defined, for example, from cell B5 to C6, C6 to D7, D7 to E8, and then return to B5 when leaving cell E8 in a worksheet as below screenshot shown. How to achieve it? This article provides a VBA method for you.
Please run the below VBA method to set tab order of cells in normal worksheet or unlocked cells in protected worksheet.
1. In the worksheet you need to set tab order, right click the sheet tab and click View Code from the context menu.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, copy and paste the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Set tab order of cells or unlocked cells
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim tabArray As Variant Dim i As Long tabArray = Array("B5", "C6", "D7", "E8") Application.ScreenUpdating = False For i = LBound(tabArray) To UBound(tabArray) If tabArray(i) = Target.Address(0, 0) Then If i = UBound(tabArray) Then Me.Range(tabArray(LBound(tabArray))).Select Else Me.Range(tabArray(i + 1)).Select End If End If Next i Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
From now on, after inputting data in B5, the cursor goes to C6 with pressing the Tab or Enter key, then goes to D7 when leaving C6, and then moves to D7, E8 in current worksheet.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHello, is there a way to just hit enter without entering anything and have it go to the next selection?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoNo me funcionó, lo coloqué en la hoja de trabajo, debe haber algún error, me podrían ayudar, necesito implementarlo en mi trabajo,
Collins Neptali Arráiz López
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoThanks for the code on enter order. I am working on a spreadsheet entering barcode information and I need to span up to 300 cells and the program only lets me enter 142 cells. Is there a way to add more so I can get up to 300?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHi Jeanne,
Thanks for your comment.
But the code can’t be optimized to meet your needs. Sorry about that.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoFirst select which cells you want to have unprotected.
When you protect your sheet it will automatically set the tab order according to your unprotected cells. It will Tab forward from Left to Right, and Top to Bottom; Shift+Tab backward from Right To Left, and Bottom to Top.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoDear Evan,
Thank you for sharing.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoWith the order that you have listed them excel does without VBA code. Make them go backwards then you got something.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHello and thank you for the VBA code to set the tab order in a protected sheet where the form control labels and form control drop-down boxes are unlocked and the user can tab through and fill out the information in a label, and when tabbing to a drop down list select the number of items the instructions give him, and I have made progress with your code. At first I could only tab through each of the label form controls, now I sometimes hit the drop down lists. I would really enjoy a turorial on how tro do tis
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoIs it possible to use this same code to force tab across each row to each unprotected cell? I need to tab starting at cell A15, and then move to the next unprotected cell (C15), then E15, then G15. Once here, I need to tab to A16 and repeat the process for the remainder of the form. The reason I need this is that data is entered by barcode scanner, and some are programmed to tab, and others to enter. Thanks for your help on this.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 years agoCan this be used to force a tab to the next unlocked cell in the worksheet? For example, I need the operator to enter (scan) data into cell A15, and then it should tab over to C15, then E15, then G15 (which is the end of the row), then return to the first cell in the next row, A16 and repeat the sequence. I need to force this pattern as some operators used scanners programmed to tab, and other are programmed to enter.