How to force user to select data from a list in Excel?
In some cases, you just want the users to enter or select data from a list you specify in the sheet, are there any way to solve this task? In fact, you can create a drop down list by Excel’s Data Validation utility to force users select data from such a list.
To force users to select data from a list, you can create a list of data you want users to select first, and then apply the Data Validation feature to create a drop down list from the data you have specified.
1. Create a list of data you need in column F.
2. Select a cell or a range you want to force users to select data from a list, and click Data > Data Validation. See screenshot:
3. In the Data Validation dialog, under Settings tab, choose List from Allow drop down list, and select the list you have created in step 1 to the Source textbox. See screenshot:
4. Click OK. Now the users only can select data from the list, if users type other data in the cells, there is a warning dialog popping out.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 & newer, including 365 | Available in 44 languages | Enjoy a full-featured 30-day free trial.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!