How to generate random value based on assigned probability in Excel?
If there is a table with some values and corresponding assigned percentages as below screenshot shown in a sheet. And now, I want to generate random values based on the list of values and their assigned probabilities.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
In fact, to generate random values with the probability, you only need two formulas.
1. In adjacent cell of the table, type this formula =SUM($B$2:B2), and drag this formula down to the cells you need. See screenshot:
2. Select a blank cell which you will place the random value at, type this formula =INDEX(A$2:A$8,COUNTIF(C$2:C$8,"<="&RAND())+1), press Enter key. And press F9 key to refresh the value as you need.
- How to generate random number without duplicates in Excel?
- How to keep/stop random numbers from changing in Excel?
- How to generate random Yes or No in Excel?
|Here the Insert Random Data of Kutools for Excel can help you quickly insert random unique integer, date, or random time, text string, custom list as you need.|
You are guest
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 days agoTHE FORMULA WORKS ONLY IF ONE SUBSTITUTES RAND() WITH RANDBETWEEN(1;X) WHERE X IS THE TOTAL NUMBER OF POSSIBLE OUTCOMES, WHICH WOULD SIMPLY BY AN INTEGER GREATER THAN 1.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 days agofrankly I don't think this formula works.
I am trying to sample the results of an election so I have in a row the votes of different parties. no I want to go in & pick up randomly ten ballots (sort of like exit polling works), but I always get the first party in the rows.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 11 months agoHow can I utilize this random number generator but only have it generate odd or even numbers inside of the criteria? When I add the "ODD" or "EVEN" coding, it only produces the number "1" in the cell.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 10 months agoHi, Preston Ehrsam, the Insert Random Data tool cannot insert random even or odd numbers only.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoSorry Just Noticed that I extend the cumulative prob. outside the desired limits
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoDoes this work if the data in the cells are horizontal instead of vertical? Mine is not. Thanks
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoHello, can anyone help me getting the correct formula? I would like to get random values but with certain limits. For example, randomly get "red, blue, green, orange or pink", but I have a specific quantity of items for each color so I have to set this condition within the formula.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 1 years agoYou can try the Insert Random Data to create the custom list as red, blue, green, orange and pink, then insert then to range randomly.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoWhy do the values from this function change every time I make an adjustment to the worksheet? I can't test my sample data if the results keep changing
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 9 days agoITS A COMMON ISSUE IN RANDOMLY GENERATED INTEGERS. WHEN THEY ARE GENERATED, THE RANDOM NUMBERS, TAKE THEM & COPY & PASTE SPECIAL THEM AS VALUES, THIS WAY THEY WONT CHANGE ANYLONGER. BUT YOU WILL LOSE THE FORMULA. BEST TO USE A DIFFERENT WORKSHEET IN THE SAME SPREADSHEET.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSorry, the formula will keep changing while adjusting the sheet because the formula contains RAND() function.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoAnyone know how I would go about doing this without replacement using probability pools. Here's an example: Pool A has 10 people. Pool B has 7 People. There is an 80% probability we will pull someone from Pool A; 20% probability we will pull someone from pool B. We want to randomly pick 5 people from the 2 pools without replacement. Even without replacement, the probability of pulling from either pool stays at 80/20. Any Ideas?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoSorry that I have not found a solustion for your question. If you find a answer, would you mind to let me know？
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years ago=INDEX(A$2:A$8,COUNTIF(C$2:C$8,"<="&RAND())+1)
What does the +1 in this formula do?
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 2 years agoHello, beacause the cumulative column I count the rows that are less or equal to 1, but the RAND() function only work from 0-0.9999, if you do not +1, the last one value G cannot be randomly choosed forever.