How to move specific files from one folder to another in Excel?
Supposing, I have a large folder which contains kinds of files, such as docx, jpg, xlsx, etc as following screenshot shown. Now, I want to move some specific file types from the folder to another new folder without moving one by one manually. Do you have any good ideas to solve this task in Excel?
To move all the specific types of files from one folder to another as quickly as you want, the following VBA code may help you, please do as this:
1. Hold down ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: Move specific types of files from one folder to another one:
Sub MoveFiles() 'Updateby Extendoffice Dim xFd As FileDialog Dim xTFile As String Dim xExtArr As Variant Dim xExt As Variant Dim xSPath As String Dim xDPath As String Dim xSFile As String Dim xCount As Long Set xFd = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker) xFd.Title = "Please select the original folder:" If xFd.Show = -1 Then xSPath = xFd.SelectedItems(1) Else Exit Sub End If If Right(xSPath, 1) <> "\" Then xSPath = xSPath + "\" xFd.Title = "Please select the destination folder:" If xFd.Show = -1 Then xDPath = xFd.SelectedItems(1) Else Exit Sub End If If Right(xDPath, 1) <> "\" Then xDPath = xDPath + "\" xExtArr = Array("*.xlsx*", "*.jpg") For Each xExt In xExtArr xTFile = Dir(xSPath & xExt) Do While xTFile <> "" xSFile = xSPath & xTFile FileCopy xSFile, xDPath & xTFile Kill xSFile xTFile = Dir xCount = xCount + 1 Loop Next MsgBox "Total number of moved files is: " & xCount, vbInformation, "Kutools for Excel" End Sub
Note: In the above code, "*.xlsx*", "*.jpg" in the script: xExtArr = Array("*.xlsx*", "*.jpg") are the file types you want to move, you can change them to others or add other file types as you need.
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a window popped out to remind you to select the original folder where you want to move the files from, see screenshot:
4. Then click OK, and another window is popped up, please choose the destination folder where you want to move the files to, see screenshot:
5. And then click OK, a prompt box will pop out to remind you how many files have been moved, close it, and you can see the specific jpg, xlsx files have been moved into the specified folder, see screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!