How to select random data from a list without duplicates?
This article, I will talk about how to select random cells from a list without duplicate values. The following two methods may help you to deal with this task as quickly as possible.
You can extract random several cell values from a list with the following formulas, please do step by step:
1. Please enter this formula: =rand() into a cell beside your first data, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells to fill this formula, and random numbers are inserted into the cells, see screenshot:
2. Go on entering this formula: =INDEX($A$2:$A$15,RANK(B2,$B$2:$B$15)) into cell C2, and press Enter key, a random value is extracted from data list in Column A, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula: A2:A15 is the data list that you want to select a random cell from, B2:B15 is the helper column cells with random numbers which you have inserted.
3. Then, select cell C2, drag the fill handle down to the cells where you want to extract some random values, and the cells have been extracted randomly without duplicates, see screenshot:
If you have Kutools for Excel, with its Sort Range Randomly feature, you can both sort and select cells randomly as you need.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as follows:
1. Select the range of cells which you want to select cells randomly, and then click Kutools > Range > Sort Range Randomly, sees screenshot:
2. In the Sort Range Randomly dialog box, click Select tab, and then enter the number of cells which you want to select randomly in the No. of cells to select box, in the Select Type section, choose one operation as you want, then click OK, five cells have been selected randomly at once, see screenshot:
3. Then, you can copy or format them as you need.
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
- To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 3 months agoHow do I randomly select a number of rows in a range using color as a condition.