How to create a dependent drop down list in Google sheet?
Inserting normal drop down list in Google sheet may be an easy job for you, but, sometimes, you may need to insert a dependent drop down list which means the second drop down list depending on the choice of the first drop down list. How could you deal with this task in Google sheet?
The following steps may help you to insert a dependent drop down list, please do as this:
1. First, you should insert the basic drop down list, please select a cell where you want to put the first drop down list, and then click Data > Data validation, see screenshot:
2. In the popped out Data validation dialog box, select List from a range from the drop down list beside the Criteria section, and then click button to select the cell values which you want to create the first drop down list based on, see screenshot:
3. Then click Save button, the first drop down list has been created. Choose one item from the created drop down list, and then enter this formula: =arrayformula(if(F1=A1,A2:A7,if(F1=B1,B2:B6,if(F1=C1,C2:C7,"")))) into a blank cell which adjacent the data columns, then press Enter key, all the matching values based on the first drop down list item have been displayed at once, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula: F1is the first drop down list cell, A1, B1 and C1 are the items of the first drop down list, A2:A7, B2:B6 and C2:C7 are the cell values which the second drop down list based on. You can change them to your own.
4. And then you can create the second dependent drop down list, click a cell where you want to put the second drop down list, and then click Data > Data validation to go to the Data validation dialog box, choose List from a range from the drop down beside the Criteria section, and go on clicking the button to select the formula cells which are the matching results of the first drop down item, see screenshot:
5. At last, click Save button, and the second dependent drop down list has been created successfully as the following screenshot shown:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by 80%
Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Would it been possible to create pull down menu based of formula?
I use formula "=SUMIFS(Items!$I:$I,Items!$A:$A,K$1,Items!$D:$D,$D2)" (=for example 150) to find the qty on pallet based on item and container size.
So I wanted to create pull down menu like qty 1 pallet, qty 2 pallets, qty 3 pallets,.....
Then user will always order qty of full pallets like 150, 2 x 150, 3 x150, up to 21 x 150.
Hi, I already created a drop down list like this one, what I'd like to know is how i can, when clicking on one option from that list, restrict what appears as options on another cell. For example, in one cell i can choose between laparoscopy and orthopaedics. If I choose orthopaedics then, the other cell which has a list of doctors, should only show the doctors for orthopedy and not all of them. Does anyone know how to do this?
I Want to Create A Dependent Drop Down List Like
- State(A1):- District(B1):- Taluka(C1) :- Then Information(D1) ,
So I need your Help .
Tell How do you do this Type of Dependent Drop down List in Excel or Google Sheet
I was wondering if anyone could advise me with this? I've followed the above steps but on step 3 rather than getting:
"...all the matching values based on the first drop down list item have been displayed at once," I am just seeing one value (the top one from the drop down list).
My cells are placed slightly differently and the first drop down is filled from another sheet (from anywhere int eh column excluding the top row) so my formula is:
It is correctly displaying the top drop down option for each of (using cell numbers from the step 3 example on this page) A1, B1, and C1 so, again using this page's example, if I select Asia form the F1 drop down, I would get China, but nothing further
Ich bekomm immer die Meldung "Fehler beim Parsen der Formel" wenn ich =arrayformula(if(F1=A1,A2:A7,if(F1=B1,B2:B6,if(F1=C1,C2:C7,"")))) eingebe. Was ist der "Weiter-Schlüsel"? Reicht es nicht wie bei Excel die Formel einzugeben?
Yes, if you don't put number index to specify ending cell.
Like instead of C2:C7 you put C2:C. This will automatically tell the array formula, that you want to consider all values in column "C" starting at "C2".
What happens if I want exactly the same dropdown list in F2 as you have in F1 ?
I tried, and it doesn't overwrite D1:D7 .. meaning D1:D7 is only available once.
I need something else, double dropdown, but on many-many lines .. guess I must use another system then .. not sure which ..