How to insert blank row based on above cell value in Excel?
In Excel, the inserting blank rows are one of the most usually used functions in our daily work. However, is there any way to quickly insert blank rows based on above cell value as below screenshot shown? Now, this article, talks about the method to quickly insert blank row based on the above cell values in Excel.
Insert row based on value above
Insert row based on value above
If you want to insert blank row based on the number above, you can use a macro code.
1. Enable the sheet you use and press Alt + F11 keys to open Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste below code to the script.
VBA: Insert blank code based on cell above
Dim xRg As Range
Dim xAddress As String
Dim I, xNum, xLastRow, xFstRow, xCol, xCount As Long
On Error Resume Next
xAddress = ActiveWindow.RangeSelection.Address
Set xRg = Application.InputBox("Select a range to use(single column):", "KuTools For Excel", xAddress, , , , , 8)
If xRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.ScreenUpdating = False
xLastRow = xRg(1).End(xlDown).Row
xFstRow = xRg.Row
xCol = xRg.Column
xCount = xRg.Count
Set xRg = xRg(1)
For I = xLastRow To xFstRow Step -1
xNum = Cells(I, xCol)
If IsNumeric(xNum) And xNum > 0 Then
Rows(I + 1).Resize(xNum).Insert
xCount = xCount + xNum
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
3. Press F5 key to run the code, and a dialog pops out to remind you to select a list to work. See screenshot:
4. Click OK, the blank rows have been inserted.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!