How to count number of lines (line breaks) in a cell in Excel?
This article is talking about counting number of lines within a cell in Excel.
Easily split multiline cell contents into rows or columns in Excel
Count number of lines in a cell with formulas
The following formulas can help you to count number of lines in a cell.
1. Select a blank cell, enter the below formula into it, and then press the Enter key.
Note: In the formula, A2 is the cell you need to count a number of lines.
2. Keep selecting the resulting cell, then drag the Fill Handle down to get all line numbers of cells as below screenshot shown.
1. For a blank cell, you will get number 1 after applying the above formula.
2. This formula =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(10),""))+(LEN(A2)>1) can also help you to count a number of lines in a cell but get number 0 of a blank cell.
Kutools for Excel's Split Cells utility helps you easily split cell contents by space, comma, new line or other separators into separated rows or columns in Excel as the below screenshot shown: Download and try it now! (
30-day free trail)
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!