How to save or convert an Excel file as/to pipe delimited file?
It is common and easy to convert a workbook to a CSV file for us. But how about saving an Excel as a pipe delimited file? This article will show you method of saving an Excel file as a pipe delimited file in details.
To save an Excel workbook as a pipe delimited file, please do as follows.
1. Open the Control Panel on your computer. In the Control Panel window, please select Category from the View by drop-down list, then click the Clock, Language, and Region option as below screenshot shown.
2. In the Clock, Language, and Region window, click Region (or Region and Language) on the right side. See screenshot:
3. In the Region (or Region and Language) dialog box, click the Additional Settings… button as below screenshot shown.
4. Then the Customize Format dialog box is opening. Please remove the comma in the List separator box under the Numbers tab, then press the Shift + \ keys together to enter the | delimiter into the List separator box, and finally click the OK button. See screenshot:
5. Click the OK button when it returns to the Region (or Region and Language) dialog box.
6. Open the workbook and shift to the worksheet you need to save as pipe delimited file, then click File > Save as > Browse. See screenshot:
7. In the Save As window, you need to:
7.1) Choose a folder to save your pipe delimiter file;
7.2) Name the file as you need in the File name box;
7.3) Select CSV (Comma delimited) from the Save as type drop-down list.
7.4) Click the Save button. See screenshot:
8. Then a prompt box pops up, please click the OK button.
Now current worksheet is converted to a pipe delimited file. If you want to save all sheets as pipe delimited files, please repeat the above step 6 to 8 to save them individually using a different file name for each.
For checking the pipe delimited file, please right click it and select Open with > Notepad as below screenshot:
Then you can see values are separated by pipe delimiter as below screenshot shown.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!