How to quickly color ranking in Excel?
In sometimes, after you rank the values, you may want to color the top three ranking in different colors as below screenshot shown, how can you solve it? In this article, I introduce the method to quickly solve it in Excel.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
To color by ranking, you can apply the Conditional Formatting utility.
1. Rank the data first, select a blank cell which you will place the ranking at, type this formula =RANK(B2,$B$2:$B$10), and then drag fill handle over the cells to use this formula.
2. Then keep the formula cells selected and click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rules to create a new rule to format the cells.
3. In the New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format from the Select a Rule Type list, and type =$C2=1 into the Format values where this formula is true box, and click Format to enable Format Cells dialog, and under Fill tab, choose one color to fill cells. See screenshot:
4. Click OK > OK, and the top 1 has been filled with color.
5. Repeat step 3 and step 4 to color the top 2 and top 3 or top n as you need.
Format values where this formula is true text box, format top 2 use this =$C2=2;
Format values where this formula is true text box, format top 2 use this =$C2=3
Now the top 3 have been colored.