How to quickly color ranking in Excel?
In sometimes, after you rank the values, you may want to color the top three ranking in different colors as below screenshot shown, how can you solve it? In this article, I introduce the method to quickly solve it in Excel.
Color by ranking in Excel
Color by ranking in Excel
To color by ranking, you can apply the Conditional Formatting utility.
1. Rank the data first, select a blank cell which you will place the ranking at, type this formula =RANK(B2,$B$2:$B$10), and then drag fill handle over the cells to use this formula.
2. Then keep the formula cells selected and click Home > Conditional Formatting > New Rules to create a new rule to format the cells.
3. In the New Formatting Rule dialog, select Use a formula to determine which cells to format from the Select a Rule Type list, and type =$C2=1 into the Format values where this formula is true box, and click Format to enable Format Cells dialog, and under Fill tab, choose one color to fill cells. See screenshot:
4. Click OK > OK, and the top 1 has been filled with color.
5. Repeat step 3 and step 4 to color the top 2 and top 3 or top n as you need.
Format values where this formula is true text box, format top 2 use this =$C2=2;
Format values where this formula is true text box, format top 2 use this =$C2=3
Now the top 3 have been colored.
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!