In general, it’s easy to calculate the weighted average by combination of SUMPRODUCT and SUM functions in Excel. However, the calculated fields seem not support the functions in a pivot table. Therefore, how could you calculate the weighted average in a pivot table? This article will introduce a solution.
Supposing you have created a pivot table as below screenshot shown. And I will take the pivot table as example to calculate the weighted average price of each fruit in the pivot table.
1. First of all, add a helper column of Amount in the source data.
Insert a blank column in the source data, type Amount as column name, next type =D2*E2 in the first cell of this helper column, and finally drag the AutoFill Handle to fill the whole column. See screenshot:
2. Select any cell in the pivot table to activate the PivotTable Tools, and then click Analyze (or Options) > Refresh. See screenshot:
3. Go ahead to click Analyze > Fields, Items, & Sets > Calculated Field. See screenshot:
4. In the Insert Calculated Field dialog box, please type Weight Average in the Name box, type =Amount/Weight (please change the formula based on your field names) in the Formula box, and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now you return to the pivot table, and you will get the weighted average price of each fruit in the subtotal rows. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!