How to sum a specified row or column in a named range in Excel?
It is easy to sum a certain row or column in a worksheet in Excel. However, do you know how to sum a specified row or column within a named range in Excel? This article will show you methods to achieve it.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
Supposing you have specified the range B2:E5 as a named range “Score_range” as below screenshot shown. Please do as follows to sum the certain row (says the second row) in this named range.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula = SUM(OFFSET(Score_range,1,0,1,COLUMNS(Score_range))) into the Formula Bar and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
1. In the formula, Score_range is the name of the named range you want to sum certain row inside.
2. The first number 1 represents the second row you will sum in the specified named range. If you want to sum the first row in the named range, please change this number to 0; and if you want to sum the third row, please change it to 2.
By now you have summed the second row in the named range “Score_range”.
Just take the above screenshot as an example. Here I will show you the formula of summing the second column within this named range.
1. Select a blank cell and enter formula =SUM(INDEX(Score_range,,2)) into the Formula Bar and then press the Enter key to get the result. See screenshot:
1. In the formula, Score_range is the name of the named range you want to sum certain column inside.
2. The number 2 represents the second column you will sum in the specified named range. If you want to sum the first row in the named range, please change this number to 1; and if you want to sum the third row, please change it to 3.