How to highlight max and min data points in a chart?
If you have a column chart which you want to highlight the highest or smallest data points with different colors to outstand them as following screenshot shown. How could you identify the highest and smallest values and then highlight the data points in the chart quickly?
To finish this job, you should get the largest and smallest value first, and then create a chart based on them. Please do as this:
1. Type this formula: =IF(OR(B2=MAX($B$2:$B$10),B2=MIN($B$2:$B$10)),B2,NA()) into a blank cell beside the data, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells which you want to fill the formula, and the largest and smallest value in the specific column has been displayed, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, B2:B10 is the column data that you want to use.
2. Then select the data range including the formula cells, and click Insert > Insert Column or Bar Chart > Clustered Column, see screenshot:
3. And the chart has been inserted, then right click any column bar of the chart, and choose Format Data Series, see screenshot:
4. In the Format Data Series pane, under the Series Options tab, change the Series Overlap to 100%, and the two data series have been overlapped by giving the appearance of the max and min values highlighted, see screenshot:
5. At last, you can do further formatting, such as formatting the highest and the smallest data points with different colors as you need.