How to limit formula result to maximum or minimum value in Excel?
Here are some cells needed to be entered, and now I want to use a formula to sum up the cells but limit the result to a maximum value such as 100. In other words, if the summation is smaller than 100, display the summation, otherwise display 100.
Select Cells with Max & Min Value function can quickly select the largest or smallest data from a range, each column or each row.
|1) Select the cells type you want to find max or min value fromin the Look in list, |
you can find the maximum value in both formula and value cells, or only formula cells, or only value cells;
2) Specify to find out min value or max value in Go to section;
3) If you want to find max value based on each column, check Entire column in Base section;
4) To find out all max values, check All cells in Select section, if you just need to find the first appearing max value, check First cell only.
- Reuse Anything: Add the most used or complex formulas, charts and anything else to your favorites, and quickly reuse them in the future.
- More than 20 text features: Extract Number from Text String; Extract or Remove Part of Texts; Convert Numbers and Currencies to English Words.
- Merge Tools: Multiple Workbooks and Sheets into One; Merge Multiple Cells/Rows/Columns Without Losing Data; Merge Duplicate Rows and Sum.
- Split Tools: Split Data into Multiple Sheets Based on Value; One Workbook to Multiple Excel, PDF or CSV Files; One Column to Multiple Columns.
- Paste Skipping Hidden/Filtered Rows; Count And Sum by Background Color; Send Personalized Emails to Multiple Recipients in Bulk.
- Super Filter: Create advanced filter schemes and apply to any sheets; Sort by week, day, frequency and more; Filter by bold, formulas, comment...
- More than 300 powerful features; Works with Office 2007-2019 and 365; Supports all languages; Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization.
To handle this task, you only need to apply the Max or Min function in Excel.
Limit formula result to maximum value (100)
Select a cell which you will place the formula at, type this formula =MIN(100,(SUM(A5:A10))), A5:A10 is the cell range you will sum up, and press Enter. Now, if the summation is greater than 100, it will display 100, if not, display the summation.
|Summation is greater than 100, show 100|
|Summation is smaller than 100, show summation|
Limit formula result to minimum value (20)
Select a cell which you place the formula at, type this =MaX(20,(SUM(A5:A10))), A5:A10 is the cell range you will sum up, and press Enter. Now, if the summation is smaller than 20, it will display 20; if not, display the summation.
|Summation is smalller than 20, show 20|
|Summation is greater than 20, show summation|