To sort the list by word count, you need to know the count of the word in each cell first.
1. Select a cell next to the list, type this formula =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))+1, press Enter key, and drag fill handle down to the cells formulas you need.
2. Keep formula cells selected, and click Data > Sort A to Z, check the Expand the selection option in the Sort Warning dialog.
3. Click Sort. The list has been sorted by word count.
1. The above formula does not directly count words, but count spaces between words and add 1 to get the number of words, if there are some extra spaces such as leading space in the string, the result will be incorrect.
2. If you want to sort by character count, use this formula =LEN(A1)to count characters and then sort.
Sort by word count with Count words in range
To count the number of words in a cell or a range, the Count total words of Kutools for Excel can do a perfect favor.
Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
More than 300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.