How to sort list of cells by word count in Excel?
In this article, I am going to talking about sorting list of strings by the number of words. If you are interested in it, please go down to view detail.
To sort the list by word count, you need to know the count of the word in each cell first.
1. Select a cell next to the list, type this formula =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))+1, press Enter key, and drag fill handle down to the cells formulas you need.
2. Keep formula cells selected, and click Data > Sort A to Z, check the Expand the selection option in the Sort Warning dialog.
3. Click Sort. The list has been sorted by word count.
1. The above formula does not directly count words, but count spaces between words and add 1 to get the number of words, if there are some extra spaces such as leading space in the string, the result will be incorrect.
2. If you want to sort by character count, use this formula =LEN(A1) to count characters and then sort.
To count the number of words in a cell or a range, the Count total words of Kutools for Excel can do a perfect favor.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select a cell next to the list of strings, and click Kutools > Formula Helper > Statistical > Count total words. See screenshot:
2. Then in the Formula Helper dialog, select the cell you use to count in Range, in default, the cells will be selecetd as absolute reference, you can change it to relative refenece. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok, and the number of words has been counted in the cell. Drag the fill handle down to apply the formula to the cells.
4. Keep the formula cells selected, click Data > Sort A to Z, and check Expand the selection in the popping dialog.
5. Click Sort, and the list has been sorted by word count.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!