How to add 1 to a specified cell if cell contains certain text in Excel?
Supposing you have a column lists the student names as below screenshot shown. Now you need to scan the column for the name of “Judy” and add 1 if another “Judy” is entered in the specific cells to show the total number of “Judy”, what can you do? This article will show you a formula to achieve it.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
The following array formula can help you add 1 to a specified cell if a cell in a range contains certain text in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =SUM(IF(A2:A7="Judy",1,0)) + Ctrl + Shift + Enter. See screenshot:
Note: A2:A7 is the column range which contains the text you will count. Please change it as you need.
Then the total number of name “Judy” is populated in selected cell as above screenshot shown.
With the Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel, you can easily count number of cells contain certain text in a range. Please do as follows.
1. Select the range you will count cells contain certain text, then click Kutools > Select > Select Specific Cells. See screenshot:
2. In the Select Specific Cells dialog box, select the Cell option in the Selection Type section, select Contains or equals from the Specific type drop-down list, enter the certain text you will count cells based on into the textbox, and then click the OK button.
Then a dialog box pops up to tell you the total number of cells contain the certain text, and those cells are selected at the same time. Click the OK button. See screenshot:
- How to add comma at end of cell/text in Excel?
- How to add space between characters or every digit in Excel?
- How to add a character before each word in a cell in Excel?