How to check if the first letter in a specified cell is capital in Excel?
It may be easy to make all letters capital in a cell in Excel. However, do you know how to only check if the first letter is capital or not in a specified cell in Excel? This article will introduce a VBA code to help you achieve it.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
Please do as follows to apply the VBA code to check if the first letter in a cell is capital or not in Excel.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys simultaneously to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please click Insert > Module. And then copy and paste the following VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Check if the first letter is capital in a cell
Sub UpperCaseCheck() Dim xRg As Range Dim xAsc As Integer Set xRg = Range("A1") xAsc = Asc(Mid(xRg.Value, 1, 1)) If xAsc > 64 And xAsc < 91 Then MsgBox "First alpha character is capital" Else MsgBox "First alpha character is not capital" End If End Sub
Note: In the code, A1 is the cell which you will check if the first letter is capital. Please change it as you need.
3. Press the F5 key to run the code. Then a Microsoft Excel dialog box pops up to tell you whether the first letter in that specified cell is capital or not as below screenshots shown.
- How to check if a cell value is between two values in Excel?
- How to check if cell begins or ends with a specific character in Excel?