How to count the line breaks in cell in Excel?
If the contents are too long to enter the cell, we usually use line breaks to break the contents so than the contents can completely be displayed in cell as below screenshot shown. Could you ever tried to count the number of the line breaks in a cell?
To count line breaks in a cell, you can try this formula.
Select a cell next to the string you want to count line breaks, type =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(10),"")), and press Enter key. See screenshot:
1. If you work with Mac system, try this formula =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(13),""))
2. Above formulas only count manual line breaks.
Here is a VBA code that also can count the line breaks in a cell in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to enable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, copy and paste code to the Module.
VBA: Count manual line break
Public Sub CountLines() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20171222 Dim xStrLen As Double Dim xChrLen As Double With Range("A2") xStrLen = Len(.Text) xChrLen = Len(Replace(.Text, Chr(10), "")) End With MsgBox "There are " & xStrLen - xChrLen & " line breaks" End
3. Press F5 key, a dialog pops out to tell you the number of line breaks.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!