How to count the line breaks in cell in Excel?
If the contents are too long to enter the cell, we usually use line breaks to break the contents so than the contents can completely be displayed in cell as below screenshot shown. Could you ever tried to count the number of the line breaks in a cell?
To count line breaks in a cell, you can try this formula.
Select a cell next to the string you want to count line breaks, type =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(10),"")), and press Enter key. See screenshot:
1. If you work with Mac system, try this formula =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,CHAR(13),""))
2. Above formulas only count manual line breaks.
Here is a VBA code that also can count the line breaks in a cell in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to enable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, copy and paste code to the Module.
VBA: Count manual line break
Public Sub CountLines() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20171222 Dim xStrLen As Double Dim xChrLen As Double With Range("A2") xStrLen = Len(.Text) xChrLen = Len(Replace(.Text, Chr(10), "")) End With MsgBox "There are " & xStrLen - xChrLen & " line breaks" End
3. Press F5 key, a dialog pops out to tell you the number of line breaks.
Count times a word appears
|If you want to count the times a specific word appears in a single cell or a range, you can try Count times a word appears of Kutools for Excel, it may make a big favor for you.|