How to populate Combo Box with data of Named Range in Excel?
You can specify a Combo box (ActiveX Control) with data of a certain range by adding the range into the ListFillRange properties of the combo box. But do you know how to populate a Combo box with data of a named range in Excel? For example, you have named a range of cells in your worksheet, and now, need to specify this range name into a Combo box. When selecting the range name in one combo box, all cell values in this named range will be populated in another Combo box automatically. This article will introduce a VBA method to solve this problem.
Please do as follows to populate Combo box with data of a named range in Excel.
1. Please select the whole headers (in this case, I select A1:E1) in your worksheet, and then type a name into the Name Box as below screenshot shown.
2. Select each column data except its header, and then name the column separately in the Name Box. See screenshot:
In this case, I named range A2:A8, B2:B8, C2:C8, D2:D8 and E2:E8 as Date, Shop, Items, Sales and Weekday separately.
3. Then insert a Combo box by clicking Developer > Insert > Combo Box (ActiveX Control). See screenshot:
4. Repeat the step 3 to insert another Combo box into the worksheet.
5. Right-click the sheet tab, and then click View Code from the context menu. See screenshot:
6. In the opening Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, please copy and paste below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Populate Combo box with data of a named range
Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() 'Updated by Extendoffice 2018/1/30 Dim xRg As Range Set xRg = Range(Me.ComboBox1.Text) Me.ComboBox2.List = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(xRg) End Sub Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Dim xRg As Range Set xRg = Range("Headers") Me.ComboBox1.List = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(xRg) End Sub
Note: In the code, ComboBox1 is the name of the combo box which you will list all range names inside, and ComboBox2 is the name of the combo box which the data of specified named range will be populated inside. The”Headers” is the range name you have created in step1.
7. Turn off the Design Mode by clicking Developer > Design Mode.
8. Click on any cell in the worksheet to activate the code. Click the arrow button in the first combo box, you can see all named ranges are listed inside. See screenshot:
When selecting a named range in the first combo box, the corresponding cell data will be populated in the second combo box as below screenshot shown:
Easily create drop-down list with checkboxes in Excel:
The Drop-down List with Check Boxes utility of Kutools for Excel can help you easily create drop-down list with checkboxes in a specified range, current worksheet, current workbook or all opened workbooks based on your needs.
Download and try it now! ( 30-day free trail)
- How to copy Combo Box value to active cell in Excel?
- How to display date format in combo box output in Excel?
- How to prevent or disable typing in a combo box in Excel?
- How to populate a combo box with specified data on Workbook open?
- How to auto populate other cells when selecting values in Excel drop down list?