How to separate email addresses to username and domain in Excel?
If there is a list of email addresses in Excel, you may need to separate the email addresses into two columns, one contains usernames, and the other contains the domains as below screenshot shown. This article will introduce some tricks on solving this job easily and quickly.
Quickly Split one cell into columns or rows based on delimiter
|In Excel, to split a cell into columns is tedious with the Wizard step by step. But with Kutools for Excel's Split Cells utility, you can: 1,convert one cell into columns or rows based on delimiter; 2,convert string into text and number; 3,convert string based on specific width, with clicks. Click for 60 days free trial!|
|Kutools for Excel: with more than 200 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
To separate email addresses into usernames and domain addresses, you can apply formulas to handle.
To extract the username from email address
Select a blank cell to place this formula =LEFT(A2,FIND("@",A2)-1), press Enter key, and drag fill handle down to the cells which need this formula.
To extract domain from email address
Select a blank cell to place this formula =RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND("@",A2)), press Enter key, and drag fill handle down to the cells which need this formula.
In Excel, the Text to Columns function also can do you a favor on separating email addresses.
1. Select the email addresses you want to separate, and click Data > Text to Columns.
2. Then in the Text to Columns Wizard window, check Delimited option and click Next to go the step 2 of the Wizard.
3. Check Other checkbox, and type @ into next textbox, you can preview the separated result in below window.
4. Click Next, select one cell to place the results in the last step of the Wizard.
5. Click Finish, the email addresses have been split into two columns.
If you neither like to remember formulas nor use the Text to Columns Wizard, you can apply Kutools for Excel’s Split Cells utility to split to rows/columns based on delimiter, specific width or text and number.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 120 handy functions, makes your jobs easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the cells you use to separate, and click Kutools > Text > Split Cells.
2. In the Split Cells dialog, check the type you want to separate to, and then check Other checkbox and type @ into the next textbox. See screenshot:
3. Click Ok and select one cell to place the result.
4. Click OK. The emails have been split into usernames and domains.
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...