How to show only the last 4 digits of social security number (ssn) in Excel?
For keeping the social security number privacy, many Excel users tend to show only the last 4 digits of the ssn in Excel. This article will show you methods to hide all numbers of ssn number except the last 4 digits in Excel.
Enable you to do smarter, faster and better
The following formula can help you show only the last 4 digits of ssn in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select a blank cell, enter formula =RIGHT(A2,4) into the Formula Bar, and then press the Enter key. See screenshot:
Note: In the formula, A2 is the cell contains the social security number.
2. Keep selecting the first result cell, drag the Fill Handle down to get all results as below screenshot showed.
The following VBA code can help you showing only the last 4 digits automatically when entering the social security number. Please do as follows.
1. In the worksheet you want to only show the last 4 digits of the social security number, right-click the sheet tab and click View Code from the right-clicking menu. See screenshot:
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, copy below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Show only last 4 digits of the social security number in Excel
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim I As Long Dim xVal As String On Error Resume Next If Intersect(Target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Application.EnableEvents = False For I = 1 To Target.Count If Len(Target(I).Text) >= 4 Then Target(I).Value = Right(Target(I).Value, 4) End If Next Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub
Note: In the code, A:A is the column you will enter social security number into. Please change it as you need.
3. Press the Alt + Q keys to exit the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
From now on, when entering social security number into cells in column A, all digits will be hidden automatically except for the last 4 numbers.
You can remove all numbers from the social security number except for the last 4 digits with the Remove by Position utility of Kutools for Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Select all cells containing social security numbers, then click Kutools > Text > Remove by Position. See screenshot:
2. In the Remove by Position dialog box, select the From left option in the Position section, specify how numbers you will remove from left in the Numbers box (here I enter number 7), and then click the OK button. See screenshot:
Then all numbers are removed from the selected cells except for the last 4 digits.