How to add subtotals and total row in a table in Excel?
For example, you have inserted a table in your worksheet, and now you want to add the total row at the bottom of table, how could you solve it? And what about adding subtotals in the table? This article will show you the solutions.
It’s very easy to add the total row at the bottom of a table in Excel. Please do as follows:
Select any cell in the table to activate the Table Tools, and then check the Total Row option on the Design tab. See screenshot:
Now you will see the Total row is added at the bottom of the active table. See screenshot:
In actual, we can’t add subtotal rows in a table automatically. However, we can convert the table to a normal range, and then apply the Subtotal feature to add subtotal rows in the range automatically.
1. Select the table, right click, and click Table > Convert to Range in the context menu. See screenshot:
Note: The Microsoft Excel dialog box will comes out and asks for your reconfirmation. Please click the Yes button to go ahead.
2. Select the specified column you will add subtotals based on, click Data > Sort A to Z, and then click the Sort button in the popping out Sort Warning dialog box. See screenshot:
3. Select the table range, and click Data > Subtotal. See screenshot:
4. In the Subtotal dialog box, please (1) select the specified column you will add subtotals based on from the At each change in drop-down list; (2) specify the calculation type from the Use function drop-down list; (3) check columns you will add subtotal to in the Add subtotal to box; and finally (4) click the OK button. See screenshot:
Now you can see the subtotal rows are added based on the specified column in the selected range. See screenshot:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!