How to create a table of contents for all spreadsheets tab name with hyperlinks in Excel?
An Excel workbook becomes quite large as more and more worksheets are created inside. The more worksheets there are, the more difficult it is to keep the overview of the worksheets. Therefore, you need a table of contents to quickly navigate among worksheets in Excel. This article will show you methods to achieve it.
The following VBA code can help you creating a table of contents for all worksheets with hyperlinks in Excel. Please do as follows.
1. Press the Alt + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, click Insert > Module, then copy the below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Create a table of contents for all worksheets
Sub CreateTableofcontents() 'updateby Extendoffice 20180413 Dim xAlerts As Boolean Dim I As Long Dim xShtIndex As Worksheet Dim xSht As Variant xAlerts = Application.DisplayAlerts Application.DisplayAlerts = False On Error Resume Next Sheets("Table of contents").Delete On Error GoTo 0 Set xShtIndex = Sheets.Add(Sheets(1)) xShtIndex.Name = "Table of contents" I = 1 Cells(1, 1).Value = "Table of contents" For Each xSht In ThisWorkbook.Sheets If xSht.Name <> "Table of contents" Then I = I + 1 xShtIndex.Hyperlinks.Add Cells(I, 1), "", "'" & xSht.Name & "'!A1", , xSht.Name End If Next Application.DisplayAlerts = xAlerts End Sub
3. Press the F5 key or click the Run button to run the code.
Then a Table of contents worksheet is created in front of all worksheets with all worksheet names listed inside. You can navigate to any worksheet by clicking the sheet name in the table of contents. See screenshot:
Before applying Kutools for Excel, please download and install it firstly.
1. In the workbook you need to create a table of contents, click Kutools Plus > Worksheet > Create List of Sheet Names. See screenshot:
2. In the Create List of Sheet Names dialog box, you need to:
Then a table of contents worksheet is created as below screenshot showed. You can navigate to any worksheet by clicking the sheet name in the table of contents.
If you select the Contains buttons and macros option in the Select Index Styles section, you will get a table of contents as below screenshot showed.
- How to reference tab name in cell in Excel?
- How to match the cell value with sheet tab name or vice versa in Excel?
- How to open a specific worksheet by the selected value of a Combo Box in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!