How to merge and combine rows without losing data in Excel?
Excel only keeps the data in the upper-left most cell, if you apply "Merge & Center" command (Home tab > Merge & Center on the Alignment panel) to merge rows of data in Excel. Users have to use another method to merge multiple rows of data into one row without deleting data. This tutorial is going to present you the method of how to merge rows of data into one row.
Recommended Productivity ToolsOffice Tab: Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Kutools for Excel: 200 new features for Excel, make Excel much easy and powerful, increase productivity immediately.
For example, you have some data in Excel, and now you need to merge rows into one row and get the following result, how could you do?
Here are some formulas can help you to merge the data in multiple rows into one row.
Merge rows of data without spaces between the data: =A1&A2&A3&A4&…
Merge rows of data with spaces between the data: =A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&…
1. In adjacent cell A7, please enter the formula =A1&A2&A3&A4&A5 or =A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&A5.
2. Then press Enter key and select the cell A7, drag the fill handle over the range of cells that you want to apply this formula.
3. And the rows of data have been merged into one row. As they are formulas, you need to copy and paste them as values when you want to paste them to other places. See screenshots:
If you have multiple rows need to be merged, this method will be complex.
It is much easier to merge rows of data into one row with the third party add-in Kutools for Excel .
Kutools for Excel: with more than 120 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 30 days. Get it Now.
After installing Kutools for Excel, please click Kutools > Combine. See screenshot:
1. Select the range that you want to merge.
2. In the Combine Columns & Rows dialog box, specify the options that you need. See screenshot:
- (1.) Select Combine rows under To combine selected cells according to following options.
- (2.) Specify a separator for the combined data.
- (3.) Specify how you want to deal with the combined cells. You can keep or delete contents from those combined cells, and you can also merge those combined cells.
3. Then click OK to combine multiple rows into one row without losing data. You will get the following results:
|Keep contents of combined cells||Delete contents of combined cells||Merge the combined cells|
Recommended Productivity Tools
Bring handy tabs to Excel and other Office software, just like Chrome, Firefox and new Internet Explorer.
Amazing! Increase your productivity in 5 minutes. Don't need any special skills, save two hours every day!
200 New Features for Excel, Make Excel Much Easy and Powerful:
- Merge Cell/Rows/Columns without Losing Data.
- Combine and Consolidate Multiple Sheets and Workbooks.
- Compare Ranges, Copy Multiple Ranges, Convert Text to Date, Unit and Currency Conversion.
- Count by Colors, Paging Subtotals, Advanced Sort and Super Filter,
- More Select/Insert/Delete/Text/Format/Link/Comment/Workbooks/Worksheets Tools...