How to easily extract comments contents in Excel?
In some cases, we need to extract the comment contents of cells to cells for viewing or analyzing better as below screenshot shown. But in Excel, there is no built-in function that can do a favor about that. However, here I have some tricks to help you quickly and easily solve this problem.
In Excel, there is no formula that can extract comment contents except Defined Function.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to enable the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, copy and paste the code to the blank new module.
Code: Extract comment
Function getComment(xCell As Range) As String 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20180330 On Error Resume Next getComment = xCell.Comment.Text End Function
3. Save the code and go back to the sheet you want to extract comment contents, type =getComment(B2) in a cell which will place the comment content at, and press Enter key. Then you can see the comment has been displayed in the cell. You can drag fill handle down to extract comments as you need.
If you want to list all comment contents of the active sheet or current workbook, the Defined Function is not convenience. But Kutools for Excel’s Create Comment List function can quickly and easily handle this job.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After free installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:
1. click Kutools > More (in the Editing group) > Create Comment List. See screenshot:
2. In the Create Comment List dialog, select the scope you want to list the comment, Active sheet or All sheets, then choose to place the comments in a new workbook or a new sheet of current workbook.
3. click Create. Now all comments have been listed one by one in a sheet.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!