How to convert 1-12 to month name in Excel?
For example you received a sales table in which months are displayed as numbers, and you need to convert the numbers to normal month names as below screenshot shown. Any idea? This article will introduce two solutions for you.
Convert 1-12 to month name with formula
Actually, we can apply the TEXT function to convert numbers (from 1 to 12) to normal month names easily in Excel. Please do as follows:
Select a blank cell next to the sales table, type the formula =TEXT(A2*29,"mmm") (Note: A2 is the first number of the Month list you will convert to month name), and then drag the AutoFill Handle down to other cells.
Now you will see the numbers (from 1 to 12) are converted to normal month names.
Convert 1-12 to month name with Kutools for Excel
As you see, the TEXT function can return month name in another cell. But if you have Kutools for Excel installed, you can apply its Operation feature to replace the numbers (from 1 to 12) with month names directly.
Kutools for Excel - Includes more than
300 handy tools for Excel. Full feature free trial
30-day, no credit card required! Get It Now
1. Select the numbers you will convert to month names in the sales table, and click Kutools > More > Operation. See screenshot:
2. In the Operation Tools dialog box, please (1) click to highlight Custom in the Operation box; (2) type the formula =TEXT(?*29,"mmm") in the Custom box; (3) check the Create formulas option; and finally (4) click the Ok button. See screenshot:
Now you will see the month names replace the selected numbers directly. See screenshot:
The Best Office Productivity Tools
Kutools for Excel Solves Most of Your Problems, and Increases Your Productivity by
- Reuse: Quickly insert complex formulas, charts and anything that you have used before; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns without losing Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows/Columns... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- More than
300 powerful features. Supports Office/Excel
2007-2019 and 365. Supports all languages. Easy deploying in your enterprise or organization. Full features
30-day free trial. 60-day money back guarantee.
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!