How to assign a value or category based on a number range in Excel?
This article is talking about assigning a value or category based on a specified number range in Excel. For example, if a person's monthly sales are between 0 and 100, the sales performance of that month will be evaluated as Poor, if between 101 and 500, evaluated as Fair, if between 501 and 1000, evaluated as Good, and if over 1000, evaluated as Excellent. The methods described in this article can help you with this task.
The following formulas can help to assign a value or category based on a number range in Excel. Please do as follows.
Formula 1: Using a formula with the combination of the IF function and the AND function
1. Select a blank cell, enter the following formula and press the Enter key. Select the result cell, drag its AutoFill Handle down to the cells where you want to apply the formula.
Notes: If the given number is not in the specified number range, the formula will return the result as 0.
Formula 2: Using VLOOKUP function to get it done
VLOOKUP function can help to handle this problem as well.
1. Firstly, you need to create an auxiliary table as shown in the table below. The table should contain two columns, one for the sales points and the other for the corresponding category you will assign to the number range.
2. Select a blank cell, enter the formula below and press the Enter key to get the result. Select the result cell, drag its AutoFill Handle down to the cells where you want to apply the formula.
Click here to know more about the VLOOKUP function.
Note: In the formula, $E$2:$F$5 is the table range we created in step 1.
- How to move entire row to another sheet based on cell value in Excel?
- How to calculate average in a column based on criteria in another column in Excel?
- How to automatically send email based on cell value in Excel?
- How to sum values based on selection of drop-down list in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!