How to find the most common text value in a list in Google sheets?
If you have a long list of cells which contains some duplicate values, now, you want to find the most common text value which appears in the data list in Google sheets. How could you solve this job without checking one by one?
The following formula can help you to find the most common value in a list, please do as this:
Enter this formula: =ARRAYFORMULA(INDEX(A2:A17,MATCH(MAX(COUNTIF(A2:A17,A2:A17)),COUNTIF(A2:A17,A2:A17),0))) into a blank cell where you want to output the result, and then press Enter key, the most common value in the list will be displayed at once, see screenshot:
1. In the above formula, A2:A17 is the list of cells that you want to find the most common value from.
2. If you want to get the number of times which the most common value appears, you can apply this formula: =ARRAYFORMULA(MAX(COUNTIF(A2:A17,A2:A17))).
To find the most frequent value in a list in Excel worksheet, the Kutools for Excel’s Find most common value utility can help you.
|Kutools for Excel : with more than 300 handy Excel add-ins, free to try with no limitation in 60 days.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as this:
1. Click a blank cell where you want to output the result, and then click Kutools > Formula Helper > Find most common value, see screenshot:
2. In the Formula Helper dialog box, click to select the data list that you want to extract the most common value beside the Range, see screenshot:
3. And then click Ok button, the most common value has been displayed into the selected cell, see screenshot:
Recommended Productivity Tools for Excel
You are guest ( Sign Up? )
or post as a guest, but your post won't be published automatically.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 12 days agoHello. Thank you so much for posting this -- it was a huge help. How would the formula change if I wanted the 2nd most common, 3rd most common, etc value in a list? Thanks.
To post as a guest, your comment is unpublished.· 19 days agoHow do you exclude a particular value from the formula, such as —