How to calculate average speed from distance and time in Excel?
Normally, we can use the formula: Speed=Distance / Hours to get the average speed quickly in Excel worksheet. But, sometimes, the hours are not numbers but time format as following screenshot shown, how could you deal with this task in Excel?
Calculating the average speed from distance and time, the following formula can help you.
1. Please enter this formula: =A2/(B2*24) into a blank cell where you want to output the result, and then drag the fill handle down to the cells you want to get all results, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula, A2 is the distance, B2 is the time, please change them to your need.
2. Then, you should change the results from time format to general, please click General form the Number Format drop down list in Number group under the Home tab, and you will get the correct results as you need. See screenshot:
Note: If you have two lists of start time and end time, to calculate the average speed as following screenshot shown, how could you do?
1. Enter this formula: =A2/(24 * (C2-B2)) into a blank cell, and then copy down the formula to the cells that you want to get the result, see screenshot:
Note: In the above formula: A2 is the distance cell, B2 and C2 are the start time and end time, please change them to your own.
2. Then, please format the formula cells format as general, and you will get the result as below screenshot shown:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Easy to Uninstall Completely | Supports Office/Excel 2007-2021 and 365 | Full-Featured 30-Day Free Trial | Available in 44 Languages
Kutools for Excel boasts over 300 features, ensuring that what you need is just a click away...
Supercharge Your Spreadsheets： Experience Efficiency Like Never Before with Kutools for Excel
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!