How to link Pivot Table filter to a certain cell in Excel?
If you want to link a Pivot Table filter to a certain cell, and make the Pivot Table filtered based on the cell value, the method in this article can help you.
The Pivot Table you will link its filter function to a cell value should include a filter field (the name of the filter field takes an important role in the following VBA code).
Take the below Pivot Table as an example, The filter field in the Pivot Table is called Category, and it includes two values “Expenses” and “Sales”. After linking the Pivot Table filter to a cell, the cell values you will apply to filter Pivot Table should be “Expenses” and “Sales”.
1. Please select the cell (here I select cell H6) you will link to Pivot Table’s filter function, and enter one of the filter values into the cell in advance.
2. Open the worksheet contains the Pivot Table you will link to cell. Right click the sheet tab and select View Code from the context menu. See screenshot:
3. In the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window, copy below VBA code into the Code window.
VBA code: Link Pivot Table filter to a certain cell
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) 'Update by Extendoffice 20180702 Dim xPTable As PivotTable Dim xPFile As PivotField Dim xStr As String On Error Resume Next If Intersect(Target, Range("H6")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set xPTable = Worksheets("Sheet1").PivotTables("PivotTable2") Set xPFile = xPTable.PivotFields("Category") xStr = Target.Text xPFile.ClearAllFilters xPFile.CurrentPage = xStr Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
4. Press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
Now the filter function of the Pivot Table is linked to cell H6.
Refresh the cell H6, then corresponding data in Pivot Table are filtered out based on the existing value. See screenshot:
When changing the cell value, the filtered data in the Pivot Table will be changed automatically. See screenshot:
Easily select entire rows based on cell value in a certian column:
The Select Specific Cells utility of Kutools for Excel can help you quickly select entire rows based on cell value in a certian column in Excel as below screenshot shown. After selecting all rows based on cell value, you can manually move or copy them to a new location as you need in Excel.
Download and try it now! (30-day free trail)
- How to combine multiple sheets into a pivot table in Excel?
- How to create a Pivot Table from Text file in Excel?
- How to filter Pivot table based on a specific cell value in Excel?
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!