How to merge two columns into one with alternating values in Excel?
Here are two columns in a worksheet, what the job is to merge these two columns into one column with the values alternative as below screenshot shown. How can you quickly handle the job without reorder them one by one?
To merge two columns into one with alternating values, there is no built-in function except VBA code in Excel.
1. Press Alt + F11 keys to enable Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window. Click Insert > Module to create a new blank module.
2. Copy and paste below code to the module.
VBA: Merge two columns into one with value alternative
Sub MergeColumns() 'UpdatebyExtendoffice20180815 Dim xSRg, xDRg As Range Dim xDWS As Worksheet Dim xIntDR, xIntDC, xI As Long Dim xFNum As Long On Error GoTo Err1 Set xSRg = Application.InputBox("Select two columns:", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) If xSRg Is Nothing Then Err1: Application.ScreenUpdating = True Exit Sub End If Set xDRg = Application.InputBox("Select a cell to place result:", "Kutools for Excel", xTxt, , , , , 8) If xDRg Is Nothing Then Exit Sub End If Application.ScreenUpdating = False Set xDWS = xDRg.Worksheet xIntDR = xDRg.Row xIntDC = xDRg.Column xI = 0 For xFNum = 1 To xSRg.Count Set xDRg = xDWS.Cells(xIntDR + xI, xIntDC) xDRg.Value = xSRg.Item(xFNum).Value xI = xI + 1 Next xFNum Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
3. Press F5 key and select two columns you want to merge to the popping dialog.
4. Click OK, in the second dialog, select a cell to place the result.
5. Click OK. Now the selected two columns have been merged into one, and with the values alternative.
If you have Kutools for Excel installed in Excel, its Transform Range utility can solve this job with only 3 easy steps.
|Kutools for Excel, with more than 300 handy functions, makes your jobs more easier.|
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as below:（Free Download Kutools for Excel Now!)
1. Select the columns (two or more) you want to merge, click Kutools > Transform Range.
2. In the Transform Range dialog, check Range to single column option, and click Ok.
3. Select a cell to place the result in the popping dialog. Click OK.
Now the columns have been merged into one and the values are in alternative order.
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!