How to do instant filtered search as you type in a cell in Excel?
This article provides a method for you to search and filter instantly as you type in a cell in Excel.
Recommended Excel Productivity Tools
As below screenshot shown, you have a Name list which you want to search and filter instantly as you type in a specific cell. Please do as follows to get it through.
1. Firstly, you need to create a table with the list data, and name the table as “Name”. Please select the whole list, click Insert > Table.
2. In the opening Create Table dialog box, click OK. See screenshot:
3. Click on any cell of the table to activate the Design tab, and then rename the table as Name in the Table Name textbox. See screenshot:
4. Click Developer > Insert > Text Box (ActiveX Control) to insert a text box above the table list as below screenshot shown:
5. Right click the Text Box and click Properties, in the Properties window, type a cell reference into the LinkedCell box.
6. Right click the Text Box and select View Code from the context menu. Then replace the original code with the below VBA code in the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window. See screenshot:
VBA code: Instant filtered search as you type in Excel
Private Sub TextBox1_Change() 'Update by Extendoffice 2018/08/22 Dim xStr, xName As String Dim xWS As Worksheet Dim xRg As Range On Error GoTo Err01 Application.ScreenUpdating = False xName = "Name" xStr = TextBox1.Text Set xWS = ActiveSheet Set xRg = xWS.ListObjects(xName).Range If xStr <> "" Then xRg.AutoFilter field:=1, Criteria1:="*" & xStr & "*", Operator:=xlFilterValues Else xRg.AutoFilter field:=1, Operator:=xlFilterValues End If Err01: Application.ScreenUpdating = True End Sub
Note: In the code, TextBox1 is the name of the inserted text box, Name is the name of the table list. You can change them based on your needs.
7. Press the Alt + Q keys to close the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
8. Turn off the Design Mode by clicking Developer > Design Mode.
From now on, the table list will be searched and filtered instantly based on the entered value in the text box. See screenshot: