How to change #DIV/0! error to the readable message in excel?
Sometimes, when we use the formula to calculate in excel, some error messages will display. For example, in this formula =A1/B1, if B1 is empty or contains 0, the formula will display a #DIV/0 error. Is there any way to make those error messages clearly readable or if you want to use other messages to replace the errors, what should you do?
Here, I am going to introduce you some methods to replace error messages.
If you have a range of cells which contain some formula error values, and now you need to convert all the error values to some readable messages, such as 0. The following VBA code can help you, please do as this:
1. Hold down the ALT + F11 keys to open the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications window.
2. Click Insert > Module, and paste the following code in the Module Window.
VBA code: change error values to some readable messages
Sub ReplaceErrors() 'Update 20131216 Dim Rng As Range Dim WorkRng As Range Dim ReplaceStr As String On Error Resume Next xTitleId = "KutoolsforExcel" Set WorkRng = Application.Selection Set WorkRng = Application.InputBox("Range", xTitleId, WorkRng.Address, Type:=8) ReplaceStr = Application.InputBox("Replace text", xTitleId, Type:=2) Set WorkRng = WorkRng.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 16) WorkRng.Value = ReplaceStr End Sub
3. Then press F5 key to run this code, and a prompt box will pop out to tell you select a range that you want to use. See screenshot:
4. And then click OK, another box will appear, please input the values into the text box that you want to replace the errors. See screenshot:
5. Click OK and all the error values have been replaced with the value you need.
Note: This VBA code will change all error values (not just DIV/0 error) to your needed messages.
If you are not familiar with the above code, using the advanced tool- Error condition wizard of the Kutools for Excel to achieve them quickly and conveniently.
The multifunction of Error Condition Wizard of Kutools for Excel:
1). Change any types of error condition (#N/A, #VALUE!, #REF!, #DIV/0!,#NUM!, #NAME?, or #NULL! ) to 0, blank cell, customized text, etc.;
2). Change only the #N/A error to 0, blank cell, customized text, etc.;
3). Change any error messages except #N/A error to 0, blank cell, customized text, etc..
After installing Kutools for Excel, please do as following steps:
1. Click Kutools > More Tools > Error Condition Wizard, see screenshot:
2. In the Error Condition Wizard dialog box, do the following options:
- (1.) Click button to select the range that you want to change the errors;
- (2.) Specify the error types from the drop down list, you can select Any error value, Only the #N/A error value or Any error value except #N/A;
- (3.) Specify the content or messages you would like to use for replacing error messages under Error display section, in this example, I replace the errors with the value “null”.
3. After finishing the settings, click OK, all the error values have been replaced with your entered message. See screenshots:
Best Office Productivity Tools
Supercharge Your Excel Skills with Kutools for Excel, and Experience Efficiency Like Never Before. Kutools for Excel Offers Over 300 Advanced Features to Boost Productivity and Save Time. Click Here to Get The Feature You Need The Most...
Office Tab Brings Tabbed interface to Office, and Make Your Work Much Easier
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by 50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!