How to do three-way lookup in Excel?
Supposing every product (KTE, KTO, KTW) has three stores (A, B, C), and every store imported items twice, now you want to return the number of items of product KTO in store B at the first time as below screenshot shown. How can you quickly find the value in the given range in Excel? In this tutorial, it will provide an array formula to solve this job.
As the above screenshot shown, you need to list three criteria you use to look up data, then type this array formula
=INDEX($A$3:$D$11, MATCH(G1&G2,$A$3:$A$11&$B$3:$B$11,0), MATCH(G3,$A$2:$D$2,0))
in a blank cell which will return the value you want.
$A$3:$D$11: the whole range of data.
G1&G2: criteria1 and criteria2.
$A$3:$A$11&$B$3:$B$11: two ranges that criteria1 and criterai2 are in.
G3,$A$2:$D$2: criteria 3, and the range that criteria 3 is in.
Then press Shift + Ctrl + Enter to return the correct result.
The formula is case insensitive.
Tip: If above formula is too complex to remember for you, you can save it in to the Auto Text pane of Kutools for Excel, then you can use this formula in anywhere anytime without rote memorization and searching in internet again, only you need to do is click to apply it and change the reference as you need. Click for free download it now.
Click to download the sample file
Other Operations (Articles) Related To VLOOKUP
The VLOOOKUP Function
Now this tutorial will explain the syntaxt and argument of the VLOOKUP function, also will provides some basic examples for explaining VLOOKUP function.
VLOOKUP with drop down list
In Excel, VLOOKUP and drop down list are two useful functions. However, have you tried to VLOOKUP with drop down list?
VLOOKUP and SUM
Using vlookup and sum function helps you quickly find out the specified criteria and sum the corresponding values at the same time.
VLOOKUP and return default value
In Excel, it will return the error value #N/A if it does not find the matched value while using VLOOKUP function. For avoiding the error value appears, you can use a default value to replace the error value if not found the matched one.
- Super Formula Bar (easily edit multiple lines of text and formula); Reading Layout (easily read and edit large numbers of cells); Paste to Filtered Range...
- Merge Cells/Rows/Columns and Keeping Data; Split Cells Content; Combine Duplicate Rows and Sum/Average... Prevent Duplicate Cells; Compare Ranges...
- Select Duplicate or Unique Rows; Select Blank Rows (all cells are empty); Super Find and Fuzzy Find in Many Workbooks; Random Select...
- Exact Copy Multiple Cells without changing formula reference; Auto Create References to Multiple Sheets; Insert Bullets, Check Boxes and more...
- Favorite and Quickly Insert Formulas, Ranges, Charts and Pictures; Encrypt Cells with password; Create Mailing List and send emails...
- Extract Text, Add Text, Remove by Position, Remove Space; Create and Print Paging Subtotals; Convert Between Cells Content and Comments...
- Super Filter (save and apply filter schemes to other sheets); Advanced Sort by month/week/day, frequency and more; Special Filter by bold, italic...
- Combine Workbooks and WorkSheets; Merge Tables based on key columns; Split Data into Multiple Sheets; Batch Convert xls, xlsx and PDF...
- Pivot Table Grouping by week number, day of week and more... Show Unlocked, Locked Cells by different colors; Highlight Cells That Have Formula/Name...
- Enable tabbed editing and reading in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Visio and Project.
- Open and create multiple documents in new tabs of the same window, rather than in new windows.
- Increases your productivity by
50%, and reduces hundreds of mouse clicks for you every day!